Walking Football Newsletter Sept/Oct 2021
It’s been quite a year hasn’t it? But we’re glad to be back with walking football and have enjoyed an amazing summer of fun, friendship, fair play and footie.
There is lots of news and things are moving quite quickly for walking football in Cornwall. There are lots of new opportunities for all age groups to play at different levels and we will be looking for some help and to appoint volunteer age group coordinators to make sure everyone gets the information they need. More on this later.
Club Improvements: Troon AFC have had to put their clubhouse plans on hold temporarily and as you’ll have seen , building work has stopped for now.
Walking Football continues to move forwards and we have decided to use an online polling system for you to let us know which events you would like to attend. We trialled this system with disappointing results as only 7 people actually tried to use it. It’s very simple, you don’t need an account you just click on the link we’ll give you, read the info about the event and then click on yes, no or maybe. It’s equally important that you tell us that you’re not interested in an event, partly so that we can stop nagging you but mostly so that we can coordinate teams without wondering ‘are they not interested or did they just not vote’. With five upcoming events on multiple dates, we cannot coordinate people telling us across all the platforms we use, something will be missed.
So it’s vital that everyone familiarises themselves with the voting system and uses it when asked. We don’t ask much and this is just three clicks on your computer, tablet or phone. So please, please, please use it. It will REALLY help us.
Dates and Events
- Winter Home - We will be back at Pool Academy sports hall in Church Road, Pool, Redruth Cornwall TR15 3PZ from the first WEDNESDAY in October...that’s WEDNESDAY 6TH OCTOBER. You’ll need to wear trainers please and if you’ve not been there before, there’s lots of parking so don’t worry about that.
- Our Friday sessions are going well and we are looking to extend this by booking an extra outdoor session from October, probably at Camborne College Astro. More news when we have it.
- The Cornwall FA are back up and running and there will hopefully be some festivals and a new Cornwall FA league running soon. We have no more information for this as yet.
- The ‘Cornwall Over 65s Team’ - This is not an FA run team but is being coordinated by St Austell WF at the moment. They want names of anyone aged 65 or over who would like to attend training and selection days on 19th and 26th SEPTEMBER at St Austell. It is urgent that everyone lets us know their interest (yes/no/maybe) in this team by contacting us via the club poll system by clicking on this link or copying it into your browser: https://whenavailable.com/event/4BZEWvtqHpJv3iy57
- The WFA Over 70s League - This will happen over the following dates throughout the year and there will be four other teams participating. If you’d like to be part of this, you need to be able to commit to attending on the following dates (at least most of them and ‘in principle’). Over 70s league dates are: 3rd OCT; 28th NOV; 30th JAN; 27th MAR; 22nd MAY. Matches will be at Ottery St Mary which is just outside Exeter and the same venue as the previous 70s Tournament. It will be 12-3pm. If you’d like to enter this league with your over 70s friends please use the link below to let us know https://whenavailable.com/event/x6VT33wid8Vp4YZ37 or speak to us on Monday. You need to be 69+ to enter. We would also like someone to step up and be the 70s League Coordinator for us. You do not have to be over 70 for this role. This would just be to make sure that everyone in the 70s team is kept up to date via email, message or phone call, with dates and transport arrangements and to disseminate information. Let us know on Monday if you feel you could help out by doing this for us.
- The WFA Over 50s League - This will happen over the following dates throughout the year and there will be several other teams participating. If you’d like to be part of this, you need to be able to commit to attending on the following dates (at least most of them and ‘in principle’). Over 50s league dates are: 19th SEPT; 14th NOV; 16TH JAN; 6TH MAR; 8TH MAY . Matches will be at Ottery St Mary which is just outside Exeter. It will be 12-3pm. If you’d like to enter this league with your over 50s friends please use the link below to let us know https://whenavailable.com/event/fQdgqSHH5etNJYti6 . You need to be 50 by Jan 2022 to enter. We would also like someone to step up and be the 50s League Coordinator for us. You do not have to be over 50 for this role. This would just be to make sure that everyone in the 50s squad is kept up to date with dates and transport arrangements and to disseminate information. Let us know on Monday if you feel you could help out by doing this for us.
In Other News
We have applied for several grants to get a defibrillator for the club but have no news on that yet. If anyone knows a company who might like to donate one for us, please let us know.
We have bought a second kit in Gold (the St Day teams have seen it already) for our teams as they are out and about representing our lovely club. We ask that everyone has shin pads. You might want to get black shorts and dimple soled boots suitable for 3G and 4G pitches.
Don’t forget we have an online calendar to keep you on track, you can find it by clicking on the link here or by copy and pasting this into your browser
So once again, would EVERYONE please add your name to all of these polls asap so that we can organise teams. Just click on the link, add your first and last names, read the info and choose yes, no or maybe. Thank you
Over 65s Cornwall https://whenavailable.com/event/4BZEWvtqHpJv3iy57
Over 70s League https://whenavailable.com/event/x6VT33wid8Vp4YZ37
Over 50s League https://whenavailable.com/event/fQdgqSHH5etNJYti6
March / April 2021
Dates for your diary...
We have been invited to take part in a Walking Football festival at Lanivet on
Sunday April 18th.
The WFA south west Walking Football cup is being held this May in Weston Super Mare. Dates are as follows Wednesday
May 5th from 12.30 - over 60sWednesday
May 12th from 12.30 - over 65s
Sunday May 23rd from 12.30 - over 50s
The Welsh Walking Football open tournament has now been confirmed for the following dates.
Over 70s - Friday August 20th
Over 60s- Saturday August 21st
Over 50s- Sunday August 22nd
Our very own Wonder Woman, Christine, has been selected by England Walking Football to attend their National England Ladies trials in February. Since joining our club, Christine had gone from strength to strength. She has a fantastic attitude to the game and her team mates and is always willing to learn. Who knew that walking the dog could help you to the England trials?! We are really proud of you! Well done Christine 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
November / December 2020
Walking Football News - September/October 2020
Dates for your diary:
Tues 8th,15th, 22nd, 29th September Training outdoors at Troon AFC Grouter Park 6:15pm-7:45pm
Friday 2nd October - proposed start at Camborne College sports Hall
In order to comply with Government guidelines we will need to extend our social distancing rules. Training at Camborne College will therefore be likely to have the following restrictions:
We will training in two training classes of one hour each (6-7pm and 7-8pm)
We will ask you to arrive wearing a face covering or shield and to leave wearing a face covering or shield
We encourage you to wear a face shield during training but this will be your choice
We will ask you to pay £4 for your session
You will have your temperature taken before being allowed to train
You will be asked not to use the changing rooms or toilets
The hall doors will remain open for ventilation
You will be asked to stay away from training for a minimum of two weeks if you or any in your household or workplace have ANY covid symptoms. We all have a responsibility to keep each other safe.
In line with the sign up sheet you have signed we will ask you to tell us immediately if you have been in contact with anyone with covid symptoms or if you even think you have covid symptoms yourself. Err on the side of caution.
We will make things as safe as we can for you BUT
As with all aspects of the sport you attend and participate at your own discretion and risk.
Upcoming competitions in January and April: If you wish to participate please make sure that you have told Chris or Sarah and make your own arrangements for transport and accommodation where necessary. If you need help or advice, just ask.
Walking Football News Feb/March 2020
January 2020 News
Troon AFC Walking Football Club January 2020 Newsletter
Hello and welcome to a whole new decade of walking football!
There are lots of things happening this month so hold onto your hats...or football boots as the case may be…
There will be FA walking football training on the evening of Monday 14th January and we will be sending three people to train as official tournament referees. Thank you to everyone who volunteered. There will be more ref training sessions in the future so if you have delusions of power be ready to put your name down.
England Walking Football trials are taking place at the start of next month for the over 50s and over 60s and we even have some brave people attending both! Troon AFC WF are proud to have six players from our team trialling for England.There will be further trials for the over 70s in the future. We’ll keep you informed.
Our kit order from Admiral with our sponsors logo on the front have arrived (we’re still waiting for the socks) and they look fantastic. We will be proud to wear them for national trials, tournaments and leagues. A representative from Old Guys Rule will be coming to one of our training sessions in the near future so that we can thank them personally and present a framed shirt to them as a momento. There will be national and local press releases at that time.
Chris and Sarah will be attending the FA committee steering again this month and can confirm that the first Cornwall Walking Football League should be starting in the late spring of this year.
Please take the time to read our club Health and Safety advice and Code of Conduct. We don’t want to be a ‘nanny state’ but it’s important for everyone to know that your safety at sessions is our priority and we all play a role in this. Especially remember to not take advantage of ‘weaker’ members of the opposing team (we all come here to have fun and kick a ball) and to be considerate of goalkeeper safety, as there have been a couple of injuries caused by members shooting the ball too hard and fast for an indoor session. Play Nice!
We are thinking about having a club meeting in the near future to discuss our upcoming plans and to give all of our lovely members the opportunity to share their ideas. Get your thinking cap on!
November /December News
Walking Football News - November/December 2019
HAPPY FIRST ANNIVERSARY TO
TROON AFC WALKING FOOTBALL!
It’s been another busy and exciting month for Walking Football and there is lots to look forward to during November and December.
Don’t forget that for the most up to date news you should check our Facebook page or look on TroonAFCWalkingFootball.com
We have placed our order with Admiral and we should have our new kit ready for the new year. Very exciting!
We have extended our product range with Tremorvah and you can now place your orders for any extra items you’d like. See our website for prices and sizes.
We are working on getting some first aid training going. A basic level for everyone and a more formal course for those that are interested.
Sarah and Chris are on the Cornwall FA steering committee for Walking Football and will be meeting with other members to set up a league. If you’d like to write down your ideas about how this should work, feel free to hand your ideas on paper to Chris or email: TroonAFCWalkingFootball@gmail.com and we’ll make sure that your ideas are heard.
Have you played ‘Guess Who?’ on our Player Profiles page yet? Don’t forget to complete your Player Profile if you’d like to be on our website. If you can’t find your form, you’ll find one to read or download on the ‘Useful Links’ page or our website.
We are still open to other clubs coming to train with us and if you would like us to arrange friendly matches with other clubs please let us know so that we can gauge interest.
Please give five minutes of your time and write a review of Walking Football on our website in the ‘Reviews and Testimonials’ tab. TroonAFCWalkingFootball.com
It’s great to have so many people to our sessions and we are looking into adding another session during the week, either in the evening or in the daytime. (Just an hour so that there’s space for new faces or you can double up on your WF fix!) Keep your eyes peeled for a survey coming soon on the website, where you’ll be able to let us know your ideas about how this could work.
Dates for your diary:
28th November - No training. Pool Academy have cancelled our session as they need the hall. We have phoned around but everywhere else is fully booked. Sorry folks.
19th Dec, 26th Dec and 2nd Jan - No training over the holiday period.
We come back on 9th January 2020